Treatments and Remedies to relieve and cure neck pain
Neck pain treatments and remedies can help you fully enjoy every moment, instead of wincing at the slightest movement of your head. And it is that when your neck hurts, everything becomes more complicated, from looking at the menu at your favorite restaurant to making the last stitches of that embroidery project or even turning your head to greet your partner when he arrives home after a long day. That is why we have compiled this guide to treatments and remedies for neck pain , with the aim of helping you regain the joy of movement. This ailment is caused by a tear or strain of one of the muscles, ligaments, nerves or discs that make up the neck, also known as the cervical spine. Risk factors for this pain include: sleeping in an awkward position, overloading the area, emotional stress, or injury from an accident or contact sports.
Home remedies for neck pain
Many neck pain remedies can be applied at home. In fact, in some cases, some remedies can make it disappear in a short time. Try these home remedies:
- Heat or cold 3 :
Reduce inflammation by applying an ice pack wrapped in a thin towel for about 20 minutes a day. 4 Alternate hot and cold therapy to soothe and relax tense neck muscles. You can also take a hot shower or apply a heat patch, such as Volta Termic .
Gently stretching the neck muscles will prevent them from contracting and aching. Gently tilt, bend, and rotate your neck to relax your muscles and improve your flexibility.
- Neck Strengthening Exercises:
If you are looking for long-term neck pain relief strategies, you should consider regular exercises to strengthen your neck muscles. These types of exercises will help you avoid future neck discomfort. In fact, insufficient muscle exercise is a risk factor for muscle strain.
- Sit comfortably, with your shoulders back. Clasp your hands gently behind your head. Push your head firmly back, putting pressure on your hands.
Hold that position for 30 seconds and rest. Repeat this exercise several times to gain strength. 6
- You can vary the exercise by moving your head from side to side, or up and down, always slowly, pausing and slightly stretching your neck at the end of the arc of movement.
- Neck brace :
Wearing a neck brace for a short period of time will give sore muscles and tendons a break. 7
- Maintain a proper posture:
Hunching your shoulders forward indicates that you are adopting a bad posture. We have all done it when we use our mobile or rest on the sofa.
However, adopting a bad posture is a particularly harmful habit for people who spend all day in front of the computer. Therefore, the best remedy for this discomfort may simply be to maintain good posture when sitting, standing, or walking.
Some useful tips on posture to prevent neck pain are:
- Keep the cervical spine straight , as if an imaginary force were pulling you up.
- Push your shoulders back until they are in line with your ears. This way the weight of your head will remain naturally balanced on your cervical spine, instead of straining your neck muscles. 8
- Enjoy a restful night ‘s rest with good support. Sleep problems increase the risk of developing a wide range of conditions, including musculoskeletal pain. 9
So if your neck hurts a bit, determine a good time to go to bed and make it a habit.
It is also important that you use proper pillows that keep your neck in line with your back while you sleep. The pillows you choose should keep your neck vertebrae in a straight line with the rest of your spine.
- Take it easy:
Most of us have experienced the tension in the neck and shoulders that causes worry. Emotional stress causes the muscles in the back to tighten, which can contribute to neck pain. 10
Therefore, when you feel that the tension is increasing, ask yourself if it is really worth continuing to feed that pain. If you can, take a night off, make yourself a cup of hot tea, lie back and relax.